A baby quilt seems as good a project as any with which to start a new blog.
Behold! A baby quilt for the future child of my old babysitter. I say “babysitter” – she’s really more of an adopted older sister/treasured friend. I’ve known her for twenty years now, so when I heard she was expecting I knew I had to make her something really special. I think I succeeded, because not only did my friend and her fiance love it, but for once I’m entirely pleased with the end result.
I used a Lone Star pattern in an assortment of Asian-themed floral fabrics in red, a lovely gradient-dyed yellow batik, and two blue batiks for the background and binding. Everything is 100% cotton.
Look at all those matching points! I strip-pieced as much as possible, but there was still a lot of ripping out seams and redoing them when things were one-sixteenth of an inch off. Quilter’s persnicketyness, man.
No seams across the big background blocks!
The back was a lovely snuggly flannel.
Usually I plan my quilts and play around with color/block arrangement in Adobe Illustrator, but since I couldn’t figure out how to make a 45º grid, I got out pencil and paper and did it the old-fashioned way. You can see it took me a few tries to figure out the design I wanted. The Y1/Y2/etc notations refers to the gradient in the yellow batik – I wanted to make a starburst pattern, with the color shading from dark to light. When I cut the yellow batik, I divided it up into five shades of yellow, from lightest (Y1) to darkest (Y5.) I am really pleased with how it came out. 🙂